Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sarah Palin: The Right Choice

2008 Republican National Convention: Day 3
I admit I was skeptical and none too excited about supporting John McCain. In fact, my preferences were Fred Thompson and Mike Huckabee (whom I voted for in the Tennessee primary). McCain was certainly qualified to be president; he just wasn't conservative enough for my taste. Being a loyal Republican, I wasn't about to vote for Obama, but it would have been a "lesser of two evils" pick on my part.

McCain's bold choice of social conservative Sarah Palin as his running mate, however, energized my support for the ticket. It has added excitement, youth, and even a bit of spunk to his stagnant campaign. The fact that he fooled all the political experts with his pick and trumped the Democrats with the second female vice-presidential candidate (but first Republican) in American history didn't hurt either.

Like everyone else in the country, I had no idea who Sarah Palin was, much less that she was the governor of Alaska. I'm not a hunter myself, but I was impressed when I read on Wikipedia that she hunted moose and ate moose burgers! Her first speech as McCain's pick last week showed that she is confident and not intimidated by the national spotlight. Her speech last night reassured her party that she will not wilt under the glare and that she can give as well as she gets from the liberals. She's a hockey mom and bulldog all rolled into one. (A great line by the way!)

Gov. Palin is as far an outsider from Washington D.C. as you can get. She has experience--albeit limited--as an executive both at the local and state level. She will have to prove herself in the eyes of independent voters and some Republicans over the coming months that she is competent to be vice-president. Yet she already has more executive experience than her opponents, Obama and Joe Biden! She's nobody's push-over and now they know it won't be as easy to tear her down as they thought--but they and the media will certainly do their best.

Save a Moose: Vote McCain/Palin!

No comments: