Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Obama's Not the First African-American Presidential Candidate

I had to shake my head when Aunt B over at Tiny Cat Pants wrote that she "cried like a baby" after voting for the Liberal Messiah. I'm sure for her it was a significant event to cast her ballot for an African-American candidate for president of the United States. She adds:

Listen, I don’t think Obama is the greatest thing since sliced cheese. I’m not even sure he’ll be a very good president. But I’m proud to be able to vote for him, and I’m proud to vote for him.

That's well and good, but it's actually not the first time that an African-American has run for the presidency. If she was registered to vote in 2000, it wasn't even the first time she had the opportunity to do so.

There are many people who have the misguided or uninformed notion that Obama is the first. Not so. I voted for an African-American candidate eight years before the Almighty Barry ever disgraced the national scene.

Amid a crowded field of candidates that included George W. Bush and John McCain in the 2000 Republican primary, I voted for Alan Keyes. It made no difference to me the color of his skin; what mattered was his position against the murder of unborn children, his Christian beliefs, and the conservative principles for which he stood.

It is significant that Obama is the first African-American to be nominated by a major political party for our nation's highest office. But it doesn't make him the right choice for our country.

So when Obama supporters make such a big deal about casting their vote for him because of his race, I have to say with pride I was eight years ahead of ya'll.

No comments: