Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Seeds of Deception

In his first press conference as House Speaker today, Kent Williams divulged one-sentence tidbits about how this whole corrupt bargain with House Democrats came about:

Q: When did the Democrats first approach you about this?

Williams: The Democrats didn't approach me. I approached them.

Q: And what did you say?

Williams: I told them I'd like to be speaker of the House. It was maybe a couple of days ago, I don't know.

Q: What did the Democrats say to you? OK?

Williams: Evidently.

A man of a great many words, to be sure.

So now we know that Kent was not led astray off the Republican reservation; he went of his own free will. He initiated the deal. The details seem to be a little fuzzy at the moment, but hopefully we'll learn more in the coming days.

No comments: